WG-6: TRANSLATING SCIENCE FOR SOCIETY
The IIOE-2 Science Plan contains a detailed discussion of capacity development activities proposed as part of IIOE-2 referring to all of the IIOE-2’s six science themes. Increasing understanding of the Indian Ocean and its coastal systems among the people and communities living in this region will empower better-informed public stewardship of ocean resources for emerging Blue Economy imperatives. Insight gained from scientific research, advances in observations, and innovative technologies will further enable evaluation of trade-offs between alternative management scenarios, enhance the ability to balance competing demands on ecosystems, and strengthen economic and scientific competiveness of Indian Ocean rim countries. Taking cognizance of this, the Implementation Strategy of IIOE-2 has listed the following core objectives for translating science for society:
- In the context of facilitating the translation of the IIOE-2 science for societal benefit, at a minimum all IIOE-2 endorsed projects should identify links with national and/or international benefits.
- To estimate the societal and economic value of proposed IIOE-2 research, through conducting a socio-economic assessment study that references, and is complementary to, the IIOE-2 Science Plan.
- Widely disseminate the results of the IIOE-2 socio-economic assessment to global public, governmental and other stakeholder communities.
This Working Group is headed by Dr. Rezah M. Badal of the Continental Shelf, Maritime Zones Administration & Exploration of the Government of Mauritius, Port Louis, Mauritius (email@example.com).
Terms of Reference
- Ensure that all IIOE-2 endorsed projects identify links with national and/or international benefits.
- Estimate the societal and economic value of proposed IIOE-2 research, throughconducting a socio-economic assessment study that references, and is complementary to, the IIOE-2 Science Plan.
- Disseminate the results of the IIOE-2 socio-economic assessment to globalpublic, governmental and other stakeholder communities.